December 26, 2010

Chyna


Chyna 9.19.2002 - 12.25.2010
Chyna was one of the best dogs that ever lived.  Her nickname was 'mouse' mostly because when she was a puppy, she was the size of a mouse.  She never got much bigger than a mouse either and never weighed more than  about 5lbs as an adult dog.  She was a tiny little thing and possibly the cutest little dog ever. 


She came into my life during a time when I really needed her and she spent the next 7 years right by my side, literally.  Chyna was a puppy when I was in undergrad and I used to sneak her to class with me all the time.  I'd just hide her under my sweater.  She never made a peep.  No, she was just happy to be warm and next to me.  I loved Chyna, and she loved me, and she was happiest when she was close to me.  Most nights she was sleeping right in the crook of my arm.  

That was Chyna while I was studying for the bar.  I put some blankets on a chair next to me and she sat there with me while I studied.  She would cry until I put out the chair.  She was just so content to lay on a blanket next to me and watch me study for 12 hours a day for weeks on end.


Chyna had a little bit of trouble adjusting to apartment life and she spent the last year going back and forth between me and her 'father.'  Rex and I were trying really hard to remedy that and have Chyna with us.  Most recently she spent a week with us after I got home from my fathers funeral.  I was so sad, I needed my mouse by my side.  She spend a few days snuggling on the couch with me and licking the tears off my face.  I thought my heart just couldn't hurt anymore but I was wrong.  My heart aches for a little 5 pound dog more than I can believe.

Chyna spent all of her life around people and dogs so much bigger than herself.  But the thing was, she never let anybody push her around.   Chyna bossed around Rex who is literally more than 20 times her size and any other big dog she saw.  Her best friend, Tuco, was a 100lbs rottweiler.  They really liked each other and he was so gentle with her although she also bossed him around - it was really cute.  She had the body of a mouse but the heart of a lion.

Chyna taught me a lot of lessons, mainly, believe in yourself and others will too.  Its the simple things in life that make it good - a warm blanket or a hug from someone you love.  Also, to take contentment just being around people (or dogs) you love.  I was so blessed to have her for 8 years.  

Goodbye my sweet little mouse dog.  I'll love you and miss you forever.  

4 comments:

Tom said...

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful dog and friend. Well done.

Susu and Company said...

Betsy we are so sorry . What a wonderful tribute to her. We love you.

DavisP said...

Oh Betsy, I am so sorry to hear about Chyna.
Our pets love us and teach us so much.
Your tribute to Chyna is wonderful - you will miss her greatly.
Take care of yourself - you have had two major loses back to back.
Love Davis

kristin said...

To our beloved Chyna girl, you were everything we so seek to be: strong, beautiful, and full of love. Betsy, you are the best doggy mommy on Earth. It is a privilege to be your sister.

God bless you, Love.

Kristin